Vice President of Finance and AdministrationDepartment: Finance and Administration
Reports To: President and CEO, American Public Television
Location: Boston, MA
The Vice President of Finance and Administration serves as principal finance and administration executive of American Public Television (APT), the leading syndicator of content to the nation’s 162 public television licensees. This Vice President is responsible for the organization’s fiscal health including development of a financial strategy, metrics tied to the strategy, ongoing monitoring of control systems that preserve APT’s assets, and development and presentation of financial reports; aligns proper financial resources to support strategic plan objectives; oversees accounting, annual budget, investments, contracts, treasury and administrative functions such as facilities management; and plays a key role in senior management and the organization’s decision-making. The VP Finance & Administration oversees a $10MM annual budget, $14MM in total investable funds, and a staff of five within an organization of 32.
- Overall Leadership and Management
- Serve as highly engaged, prolific member of APT’s senior management team on matters including revenue strategies and initiatives, strategic planning, and financial resource management to support key initiatives
- Lead, manage and motivate the organization’s Finance department and occasionally other staff members as project lead
- Manage annual budget and reforecast processes to achieve most successful possible results while allowing APT to achieve its strategic plan
- Maintain and grow key relationships in the financial, audit, investment, insurance and benefits communities as well as with public media stations
- Assist in identifying new revenue opportunities and developing business plans
- Oversee accounting function to ensure accurate and timely monthly financial statements and provide analysis for departments, upper management and Trustees. Develop and report on key performance indicators.
- Act as primary liaison between the external auditors and the company. Oversee and review tax returns (Form 990), Form 5500 for the pension plan, and other forms as prepared by the Controller.
- Develop and maintain systems of internal controls to safeguard financial assets of the organization
- Manage annual budget and reforecast processes to provide information to the department managers and upper management for making sound financial and business decisions for APT
- Perform the duties of the Assistant Treasurer (elected position) and manage the treasury functions including the daily cash operating accounts - ensuring adequate cash flow to meet the organization’s needs
- Perform the function of the Clerk of APT (elected position) including attending, presenting at and preparing minutes for Board of Trustees and Finance Committee meetings. Provide top level analysis of all financial and administrative matters for the CEO, Trustees and the APT Finance Committee. Serve as primary APT contributor at APT Finance Committee meetings.
- Be responsible for the organization’s pricing methods and changes, and understand the public media system
- Oversee all payroll and related HR activity for staff and participants
- Proactively monitor APT’s investment portfolio, act as primary liaison with external investment advisors and assess their performance for CEO and the APT Finance Committee.
- Manage, research and negotiate all business insurance plans as well as employee health care and other benefit plans
- Manage APT’s 403(b) retirement plan and ensure ERISA requirements are fulfilled
- Responsible for procurement of space for APT’s offices including lease negotiations and management of lease and operating costs
- Provide financial guidance and leadership to APT’s departments in business matters
- Oversee the execution of program license agreements, station add-ons once programs go to contract, amendments and other program related contractual obligations
- Negotiate various contracts, including the hotel agreement for APT’s annual conference and provide logistics management for onsite portion of the meeting
- Be the primary manager of enterprise risk and collaborate with the VP Technology in managing the IT enterprise risk
- Additional Responsibilities
- Act as liaison with members of the public television financial community as well as others in the broader PTV community in promoting APT
- Proactively stay aware of industry changes that impact APT and its business models
- Mentor the Finance and Administration department, and other department managers, on financial and contract management
- Manage front desk receptionist, ensure coverage of the desk and main phone line at all times
- Assist other departments as needed.
- Perform any related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Abilities Required
Ten or more years of related financial experience as well as leadership experience, demonstrated teamwork, supervisory and management abilities required. CPA and/or MBA degree highly preferred. This position requires at least a bachelor’s degree. Experience in public media and/or other media preferred. Nonprofit financial management experience is a plus. Experience in management of organization investments is highly preferred. Hands-on experience with Windows-based general ledger software, prior responsibilities for the complete generation of monthly financial statements and direct experience with the treasury function are required. Demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft Office product suite, including mastery in Excel; IBM (formerly Lotus) Notes, and IBM Domino applications and databases; other accounting software including Microsoft Dynamics SL (formerly Solomon) or similar systems/applications/software.
Other Knowledge, Skills, and Experiences
- Ability to motivate the team, delegate effectively, attract and recruit top talent
- Experience with contracts, business affairs and deal-making
- Ability to brainstorm and help identify and/or lead new revenue streams
- Understanding of the public media system
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in handling and producing confidential information
It is important that the final candidate is self-starting, goal-oriented, thorough and thoughtful, a problem solver, has strong executive functioning skills and able to deliver a prolific volume of high quality work while juggling and prioritizing competing tasks and demands, has successful interpersonal skills and is a strong contributor to a positive work culture, maintains positive relationships with internal and external customers, consistently models ethical behavior, demonstrates excellent judgment, is a critical thinker, leads by example and is respected by staff, is a big picture thinker who understands the importance of details and accuracy in execution, has strong written and oral communication skills, and is comfortable working at a small company in a constantly changing, fast-paced media environment.
If you have the required knowledge, skills, experiences and personal traits, please submit your cover letter, resume and salary requirements to HRVPFinance@APTonline.org
Resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis beginning April 30 until the position is filled. The successful candidate is anticipated to begin in July for training with the position’s predecessor who will remain in the post until at least August 31, 2019. This position offers a competitive salary and generous benefits package.
American Public Television is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description is intended to be general and will evolve over time. The description is subject to periodic updating. At management's discretion, the employee may be assigned different or additional duties from time to time.